Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rainy season?

The thunder head I am watching build while I write this entry, and the street scene outside the guesthouse.
The past two days, massive thunderhead clouds have built, but no storms have come. There has been no rain. As I type this entry, I am watching a massive cloud build. I have a feeling our luck may be over with this one! It has not rained in 4 days, which is quite rare this time of year. The lack of rain has allowed us to explore places that we otherwise might not have been able to if it were raining.

You simply can not imagine the condition the rain leaves the roads in. If no government officials live on the road, it never gets fixed, and some stretches are very bad. Not only is a vehicle reduced to a crawl by some drive-down-into-them-deep potholes, the ride is so bumpy that you will lose your lunch if you’re not careful! At some points on the road, it is lined with cement posts. This is because when it rains heavily, the road is under water for days or weeks at a time, and the markers tell people where the road is!
The TARA boat I had all to myself
Last night I had dinner at the floating village’s Tara Boat. It was not bad. I was the only one on a 100+ foot dinner boat. (This is the off season, after all.) Needless to say, we stayed anchored. Oh well, I really went along mostly for the pictures of the floating village anyway, and I did get a few although not all the ones I would have liked. My Tara Boat shuttle driver joined me for dinner, and it turned out she was Thai. We talked Thai and watched the sun set behind a massive thunderhead. Not exactly the kind of sunset I was expecting, but a very unique experience to be sure.


Kind of an unconventional sunset, but magnificent nevertheless
Floating Village: a floating convenience store
Another general shot of the early evening floating village activity.

4 comments:

Joyful Pilgrim said...

What was for dinner? Please describe :-)

Tom said...

chicken vegetable stir-fry in Khmer spices with steamed rice. It was not exactly what I was expecting, and I did not finish it. I don't blame the boat, it just was a bad choice on my part.

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

nice sunset Tom!